How would you refashion it? (purple skirt)
October 19, 2010 in Refashioning
What to do! I have quite a few items of clothing that I want to refashion, but I could use some inspiration as to how to refashion them.
Below is a skirt with a funny story. It was bought in a charity store last Halloween by my brother in law. Him and my sister were visiting and we decided to go to a party dressed up as the opposite gender. My sister and I dressed as men and him and John dressed as ladies. It was hilarious, but I don’t dare show pictures so you will just have to imagine it. Sorry! But the point of the story is that this is the skirt my brother-in-law wore. It is a bit too big for me but I like the fabric and the flowy cut of it.
So let me hear what you think. What should I do with it? Have you refashioned a skirt or do you know anyone who has? Why not share the link with me in the comments on Grey Duckling or Wardrobe Refashion or twitter (@EddieDuckling). I promise to consider any ideas and in a weeks time I will give the refashion a go and post the result here.
Please help me out!
I am not done collecting ideas, so if you have anymore feel free to write a comment or tweet (@EddieDuckling) me about it. But here is the list of ideas so far:
- ‘Bring the skirt under the bust and put a black top on it.’ From Nat on the Grey Duckling Post
- ‘Maybe you could turn it into a a short little number which you can wear over your swimmers?‘ From Stephanie (MooBear Designs) on the Grey Duckling Post
- ‘I like the pulling this up to bodice height idea. I might add a zipper to the side and make it fitted to waist. The flounces would look really cute at knee!’ From Jenni (Pagoda DesignWorks) on the Grey Duckling Post
- ‘If it has an elastic waist you might either like to unpick it further than you need by a bit or just cut it all off and sew on a new one.’ From Cherrie (Willy Wagtail) on the Wardrobe Refashion post
- Jennifer mentioned that she had a refashion ready to go that was very similar - go and have a look – the result is great! From Jennifer (twobutterflies) on the Wardrobe Refashion post
- ‘Either a dress, or you could make it into a wrap skirt?‘ From Christiane (aka @xiane_3ravens) on twitter
- ‘Those flounces made me wonder if you could somehow turn it into a ruffly, flouncy dress – maybe a tiny top out of a compatible solid or some straps‘ From Linda Wardrobe Refashion post
- ‘…bringing the skirt up to under my arms, add wide elastic on the inside to what was originally the waist line.’ From Betty on the Grey Duckling Post
I did a little research into refashions that turn a skirt into something new and cool and here are some of my favorites:
- Jennifer from twobutterflies‘ Skirt to Dress Refashion
- Michelle from Someday Crafts’ Tiered Skirt Refashion
- Jill W’s Frankenskirt
- The Sewing Dork’s 45 minute wool skirt refashion
- km-17′s Skirt to summerdress epilogue
- Bytes & Bobbins’ Skirt to dress refashion
- Tilly from Tilly and the Button’s Granny chic skirt : ‘”You never can tell what someone is going to choose…”, muttered the young and trendy lady at the till in Oxfam, as I presented my haul of grandma skirts and handed over my £3.’
Have you refashioned a skirt in a fun and interesting way – leave a link in the comments section or tell me about it on twitter (@EddieDuckling) and I will add you to the list.