While the previous elderflower jelly could have jellied a bit more this lavender stuff I tried out can hardly be called a jelly at all. This seems to be a cycle for me every time I try cooking a new thing. First time it turns out fine because I follow the recipe to the letter. Second time I try to variate the recipe, it turns out OK. Third time I decide that I am a professional by now, I can make up my own recipe. I can’t and as with this lavender jelly it’s a disaster. Luckily, I then decide to go back to the original recipe with a couple of workable adjustments and then it turns out fine again.
Just for the record I have now saved this lavender jelly by putting it all back in the pot, adding some more pectin mixed with sugar, and given it a good boil until it reached setting point. I have also just learnt a easy way to see if it has reached setting point. I read it on the back of the pectin pack. Fish out a teaspoon of the jelly while it is still boiling and put it on a plate. Blow on it and if in a couple of seconds you get ripples in the jelly it has reached setting point.
My first fruit jelly. This being my fourth attempt to make jelly it of course turned out a success. I went back to the measurements from Nigella Lawsons Chilly Jam recipe. 600ml liquid with a 1kg of jam sugar.
I had been out in the garden to pick the berries. Unfortunately the birds had been at them and some where starting to rot. However, I got enough for this portion. I boiled them with 800ml water and two apples chopped up roughly. After sieving I ended up with about 650ml juice. I melted the jam sugar in the juice and then allowed it to boil for about 10 min till it had reached setting point.