Introducing APPELLO (Latin for to call – very appropriate as it is built to call up Latin texts). APPELLO has been build as a very simple RESTful Web Service providing a URL with different methods and parameters to gain access to different parts of and ancient document dataset.
What is a RESTful web service
REST is accourding to Abeysinghe (2008: 13) a design style, which should ideally be followed when developing web services based software. The main principles of REST are:
- Provide every resource with a unique ID (URI)
- Link resources with each other
- Use standard methods (HTML, XML)
- Resources can have multiple representations that reflect different application states
- The communication should be stateless, meaning that the request sent to the server should provide the server with all the information it needs without information from previous requests (Abeysinghe 2008:13)
Abeysinghe, Samisa 2008. RESTful PHP Web Services. PACKT Publishing, Birmingham.